Pillow Party

November 05, 2011

I was able to spend a fun day in my beautiful sewing room.  I love anytime spent in here, but today's pillow day was particularly rewarding.  I made 5 pillows for under $13.00 and they turned out so pretty!

Pillow forms:  No cost, just replacing some worn out covers and used the forms I already had.
Pillow fronts:  No cost, collected pieces of designer samples that I pieced together.  Remember this post?  And how about this post which I should update because some of the quilts are done and came out great.
Pillow backs:  1 1/2 yards green cotton ticking from Joann's Fabrics, half off, $5.25
Welting:  5 packages of Wright's Piping @ $2 each, less 25% sale, $7.50

Here's what I did:
After piecing, iron seams open.
Using a zipper foot, sew pre-finished piping to the right side of pillow front.

When sewing piping around the corner, snip it a few times for ease.
Now attach right sides together of front and back and stitch together using the piping sewing line as your stitch line.
Snip off corners.  It's easy to put in a zipper but even easier not to.  Leave a 12" opening between two bottom corners.



Turn inside out and poke your finger into the corners to get a good corner.
Stuff in pillow form and close up the 12" opening using a blind stitch. 

Three pillows on my guest room day bed. The quilt is blogged about here.

I made two 20" pillows for my bedroom.  I love this snuggly little corner.
Colors are more accurate here.  The walls are Benjamin Moore Pale Avocado.  Love.
I love having cheery green and white in the bedroom.
One day to sew, photograph and blog!  Must be some kind of record!

My bloggy friend, the very very sweet and talented Madam Butterfly is having a wonderful give-a-way for the new Brooklyn Tweed Loft yarn.   Let me know if you win!

Thank you so much for dropping by.  Stay warm and dry and keep crafting!

You Might Also Like

4 Comments

  1. Thanks for the nice tutorial and for the photos of your sweet new pillows. They are lovely and I love seeing them situated in your home. Also want to say thanks for the link to a new blog and to the fantastic giveaway there - I made sure to mention that I heard it from you (wasn't her Loft lace swatch to die for?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so pretty! I especially love the colorful ones you did for your guest room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. super talented multi-crafter you! those pillows turned out great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make sewing pillows look so easy! I love piping on pillows but have always steered clear of it because it looks so hard to do. Now it doesn't look so bad. I have to get over to Madame Butterfly--the new designs in Loft are to die for!

    ReplyDelete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda