Water's Edge by the water's edge.

November 17, 2011


This photo was taken on the big Monterey Cypress at the entrance to City Beach.
I love Water's Edge!  In fact, I love it so much that when it was finished I immediately cast on for another in sapphire blue.  The pattern is so fun and easy, top-down and cute with the ruffley pleated peplum.  I am a sucker for peplums and loved the little pleat, a technique I haven't used or seen before.    I've worn this almost every day since I finished it.  Looks great with jeans or with a dressy skirt.
The pattern came from Coastal Knits and is designed by Hannah Fettig.  The book has sweet stories next to the photos of their pretty sweaters photographed at favorite beachy spots in Maine and the California central coast.  So in that spirit, I felt a coastal shot was necessary for the photo shoot of my sweater.   My girlfriend and I went to Carmel-By-The-Sea for a day of shopping and lunch.  She kindly took pictures of me on the water's edge for my Water's Edge Cardigan.
I made some obvious and easy changes to the pattern and noted them on my Ravelry page.
The yarn is Kidsilk Aura which has been discontinued, makes me so sad.  If you haven't used it yet, you should try to find some before it's all gone.  It's the bigger sister to Kidsilk Haze so knits up faster and fluffier and is the same luscious combination of kid mohair and silk.  But just like KSH it's the devil to frog.  You have to pull at it and you feel like the yarn is screaming at you, but it's strong and somehow you do manage it and then will actually re-knit up beautifully after all that.  I love this yarn and will miss it.  I bought mine at Jannette's Rare Yarns.  If you get on her email list your stash may grow quite out of control, just warning you in advance.

I'll be using Coastal Knits patterns a few more times, I love so many of the sweaters.  The book is crazy popular right now but I think I am the first to finish Water's Edge, or at least the first to post it on Ravelry.  I'm honored.

Hannah also designed the famous Effortless Cardigan which went viral on Ravelry.

Thanks for coming to the coast with me, it was a beautiful day.  Please stop by tomorrow, I'm going to post some pictures of my favorite shop in Carmel, you'll love seeing it.

You Might Also Like

3 Comments

  1. LOL! I bought a bunch of Kidsilk Aura from Jannette too!

    Your cardi looks great, and I love the seaside shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how your yarn choice changes the look of the pattern. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute is that cardigan! Love it, especially in the color you chose. Your photo shoot is just right to complete the look. It must have been cloudy in the Bay area because you got a beautiful day in Carmel :o)

    ReplyDelete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda