My fav finds at Stitches West

March 14, 2014

On Facebook I've shared a lot about the recent Stitches West knitting convention held in Santa Clara, California. Vendors come from all over North America and shoppers too, so I feel very lucky that it's less than a half hour from my home.  It was wonderful to see yarn that I'd only read about.  To finally touch it in person was this knitters dream.  I had such a great time and packed it all into one big big day.  I came home with a few treasures, such as two patterns from Cocoknits.  Julie Weisenberg was there and besides being such a talented designer she is just adorable and so friendly.  I tried on almost everything in her booth and really surprised I managed to walk away with only two patterns.  A beautiful poncho called Veronika that I will knit in a navy Kidsilk Haze and this versatile unisex Boyfriend Cardi called Antonia (or Antonio!)  Here are a few highlights of my day at Stitches West.


Do you know about the Mother Bear Project?  This is the wonderful lady behind it.
I promise a big fat blog post about this terrific project and the lady who started it at a later date.



The most dear and humble gentleman, Tim Arnold from Nashville, Tennessee was doing a brisk business selling his gorgeous and detailed hand-made-by-him shaker style baskets.  Here is the website for his company, Saw Dust Co.
 


I had planned ahead to meet the ladies behind Spincycle Yarns.  I knew I would love them and I did.  Knitters are so nice, aren't they?  Their beautifully soft and gorgeous yarn is machine spun locally near them in Bellingham, Washington.  It looks as beautiful as any handspun I've seen. Vibrant and subtle colors and blends; they know how to mix it up and make it right.  I highly recommend their yarn.  I've used their Dyed in the Wool fingering twice and know it to be super soft and well behaved. 







Look!  Here's the very scarf I made as a sample for Botanical Knits 2! 





And then I met these two sweet ladies and fell in love again!  The Big Bad Wool ladies are from Alabama and have started a yarn and pattern company that I think you'll be hearing a lot about soon. They have a line of yarn they call weepaca, a baby soft blend of merino and alpaca that can be machine washed on the gentle cycle.  Colors are clear but soft and they have plans to come out with a fingering weight soon (for which I'll be the first in line.)  Their support patterns are simple and sweet, just what I like.



He was good ALL DAY!



I came home with enough squishy yarn to make the gentlemanly Fireside Cardigan.

The sweet and pretty Alana Dakos of Never Not Knitting was there and had all the samples of her new book Botanical Knits 2 to try on.  And LOOK!  Here's the sample I knit!  The beautiful Bare Branches hooded coat.  I wanted to grab it and take it back home!  I splurged and bought the yarn, Rowan Felted Tweed Aran and have it stashed away to make next fall.  (but for me this time)



Not the greatest picture, but a truly beautiful shawl.  Forest Foliage.  Add to queue!

 Oh what a wonderful day!



You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. I loved this post Kristen!!!! Do you know I've never been to a fiber event? I vicariously enjoyed the trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This photographs are so fabulous, Kristen! I am glad to learn of some wonderful new yarn vendors. :-)

    ReplyDelete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda