Sugarfoot, free pattern

February 18, 2015






I have a new pattern for you, Sugarfoot, a summer top with a baby-doll flared skirt for the 18" doll.  It's knit top down in one piece in DK weight yarn and is a beginner pattern. 

I started with one skein of Rowan's new summer yarn, Tetra Cotton, in my hand.  It's 100% cotton with a chain construction and feels very soft and cool in the skein.  I knit a small swatch and realized it's beautiful drape and silky feel would be perfect for the flare skirted top I had sketched out in my knitting notebook.  Usually with one sample skein, I can try out a new yarn and at the same time make up a new pattern for the popular 18" doll. Win-win for me and my doll, (and you too because I wrote it out and giving it to you for free.)

Tetra Cotton is lightweight and very cool, and I can imagine would be weightless for a summer top.  Yarns like this with chain construction take a plain and simple needle so pull out your dull tipped bamboos for this.  Too pointy and you risk a snag, too slick and the yarn will knit too fast and be slippy.  But the right needle, I used Clovers, will have you sailing through the knitting. 

Many knitters of doll clothes are beginners and I'm confident a beginner will have success with this pattern. Just follow the directions, step by step, and you'll be fine.  If you are not sure about a stitch, head to the internet but PM me with any questions if you get stuck. If you are subbing yarn for this pattern, it's best if you use something that has a bit of drape so the flares will flow gently from the bodice.  I had enough leftover yarn that I could have made this long sleeved, or could have added length and made a dress.  I can't wait to see what you do with this pattern!  All links are at the end.



I took a design workshop from Marie Wallin at the Rowan Mill.  Everything starts out with a sketch, then you work your way through the process of choosing the yarn, the stitches, and the construction. After knitting the garment, and that includes ripping out quite a lot and taking notes throughout, I write up the pattern and send it to test knitters.  Their eagle eyes find my mistakes, big and small, and voila!  Doll pattern is all ready for ya!  Did I make it sound easy?  I didn't mean too.  It's not for me and doll clothes are about all I can manage right now!



Sugarfoot, free pattern download on Ravelry
Clover Needles, I used the 16" circulars


Why the name?  My husband is a whistler, and it's my job to guess what he's whistling.  Then I'm supposed to sing along, (no way can I whistle along.)  Very often we're jammin' away to old TV series themes from the 50s (consider yourself lucky you're not around us during these times.)  We grew up on westerns like Rawhide, Rifleman, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train, and Cheyenne. I know I'm missing dozens more like Bonanza (Hoss and his family lived behind our house when I was growing up), Maverick, and Have Gun Will Travel.  What else?  You're probably not old enough to remember any of them, but they were GREAT.  It's funny that decades later, my husband and I can still remember the tunes, even if not so much the lyrics.  So, I make up lyrics.  Sugarfoot, Sugarfoot, sassy talkin', fancy walkin' Sugarfoot.  My husband frowns at me, "Are you sure those are the lyrics?"  Oh yes, I'm positive!  I looked them up and here are the real lyrics:

Sugarfoot, Sugarfoot, easy lopin', cattle ropin' Sugarfoot,
Carefree as the tumbleweeds, ajoggin' along with a heart full of song
And a rifle and a volume of the law.

Sugarfoot, Sugarfoot, never underestimate a Sugarfoot,
Once you got his dander up, ain't no one who's quicker on the draw.

You'll find him on the side of law and order,
From the Mexicali border, to the rolling hills of Arkansaw

Sugarfoot, Sugarfoot, easy lopin', cattle ropin' Sugarfoot,
Ridin' down to cattle town, a-joggin' a-long with a heart full of song
And a rifle and a volume of the law.


Will Hutchins was "Sugarfoot".  You can SING ALONG!

You Might Also Like

8 Comments

  1. We must be the same age. I remember ALL those shows! Thank you for the another adorable pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do feel lucky that I grew up when I did, and not just for the tv of course!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely adorable!!!! My husband is a whistler too! Can't say tho that I enjoy it as much as :))). Sounds like u r feeling better. I sure hope so. Pneumonia is a doozie. I have had it many times over the years. Lungs r definitely a weak spot for me. Make sure u r very easy on ur self in the weeks following ur recovery. Lots of TLC tell ur whistler. :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris. Seriously, this has completely knocked me off my feet. Today, 10 days after I got sick, I was dressed for the first time and actually left the house! I have never, ever been this sick, even after surgery! I am taking it easy and Terry has been a pretty good sport, making dinners and folding laundry but I think he will appreciate me all the more after this! And haha, you have a whistler too! Sometimes my guy will whistle White Christmas in July, and I'll be caught off guard as he expects me to guess. I think that's cheating.

      Delete
    2. Hi Kristen, I am having problems with Round 22. I have slipped the 26 stitches onto a stitch holder and CO 4 sets but don’t understand after that point. Please could you clarify? Many Thanks. Sue

      Delete
  3. So cute. Thank you for giving the pattern for free. I found it on Ravelry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for another stylish American Girl doll pattern, Kristen. I don't like my American Girls to look frumpy and your patterns always raise the fashion bar. I think I might try to make this one on an upcoming plane trip. Seems the right size for those tiny spaces. This comment is a little late. Hope you are feeling your old self by now. Your beautiful new sweater seems pretty much a proof of that:-) Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a question beginning round 22. It says join in the round: with right side facing, slip last 4 stitches overlap, taking care that the buttonhole stitches are on the top. I am not sure what you mean about putting the 4 stitches on another needle. If I slip the 4 stitches on a spare needle, when do I pick them up. Which stitch do I start knitting in the round with?

    ReplyDelete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda