loving stitches west

February 26, 2017



































Stitches West comes once a year and I'm so thrilled it's only a half hour drive from my home.  We've had Biblical rains these last weeks and I heard some horror stories of vendors with their trucks being stranded for hours on our flooded freeways just a half hour from the venue.  In true California form, the next day dawned dry and sunshiny and welcoming and all was well. 

I arrived early both Friday and Sunday, stayed for a few hours, and left when the crowds came. As expected, there was quite a lot of indie hand dyed skeins in crazy colors.  There were a few knitting stars, Franklin Habit and Steven Be and others, and easily a ton of yarn. To be surrounded by so much fiber, many that I've only read about but never seen, nor touched, or patted--was heaven.  My haul below is my favorite thing to show. Three Irish Girls yarn is lovely and I bought two skeins for a baby sweater. The Irish girls themselves were adorable.  

Sincere Sheep is fantastic!  I'm certain I'll be trying more of their yarn.  I purchased two precious skeins of a 100% Cormo wool, one of their Terroir Fiber Series that was sourced from 9 Mile Ranch in Kaycee, Wyoming and spun in Buffalo, Wyoming.  It's awesome to know so much about the yarn I'll be knitting and wearing.  Each skein has 500 yards and two skeins will be enough for a sweater for me. Now I'm looking for a perfect pattern.

Webs always has an enormous booth and I always manage to get into a little trouble there.  I bought one of my favorite Rowan summer yarns, Softyak DK, a gorgeous, medium teal cotton blended with a smidgen of yak fiber. Do you see a color theme here?  I really didn't mean to collect only watery blues, but apparently that was what was calling me!  I didn't leave Webs until I picked up two little graduated skein sets, perhaps I'll use them for a shawl or baby sweaters.

I fell in love with Canon Hand Dyes from Portland Oregon.  She had oodles of sweet little mini skein sets.  I bought a bluish speckled George DK set.  On Friday night I cast on for a baby surprise jacket mixing it with a white Rowan Pure Wool DK.   It's flying off the needles--both yarns are happily bouncing from one needle to the other; sublime. 

From the button stall I bought some vintage baseball buttons that are unlike any I've seen before. I also found a little baseball bat with matching baseball set.  Yep, baseball season is around the corner folks! Lots of future knitting will be done watching baseball on the TV and at the ballpark. 









To make a comment, click here.  I'd love to hear from you!

Kristen



Follow 
Knitionary

You Might Also Like

12 Comments

  1. I would have been completely overwhelmed with all of this beautiful yarn.

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit much, that's why going back the second day was so helpful!

      Delete
  2. Looks like you picked some beauties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went back to Steven Be on Sunday to get the 21 color slouch and they were all sold out! I snoozed, I loozed!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the beautiful pictures from Stitches West. I sure wish I could've gone.
    Lmecoll on Rav

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have missed it for the last two years and was determined to make time for it this year! I'm glad I did. I hope they have a Stitches near you.

      Delete
  4. The Sincere Sheep yarn looks so yummy!! I have never heard of them before. Must try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard of them because all of their yarn is American sourced and milled and many of their yarns they have the specific small farm it came from. The yarn feels so wonderful and I cannot wait to try it! Hopefully soon.

      Delete
  5. You were so good about taking photos. I was too pooped as I had an early Friday class that was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took all the pictures Sunday AM the first hour when I the place to "myself" and before I was too tired!

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Kristen! It has been many years since I lived near a Stitches convention. They were big then and even more so now with all the new indie companies as you have shown. Do you happen to remember if the striped piece in the 8th photo down (with Woolfolk and Swan's Island labels clearly visible) was woven or maybe knitted with a Linen stitch type construction? I love those colors together. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's the Crackerjack pattern available for free on Ravelry. It's linen stitch and done mostly while watching your favorite sports team and knitting it in their colors. Each stripe represents a home win or loss or away win or loss, and by the time the season is done, you'll have a scarf you can wear proudly! I've made it before and used these same San Francisco Giants colors. It's a popular kit for ly stores to make up and carry.

      Delete

You make my day when you make a comment!

Labels

afghan Alana Dakos ally pally ambassador Amy Herzog Ankestrick Arte Italica baby Baby Cocktails bakelite baking berry picking Best Friday of the Month best of Ravelry Big Sur blue transferware book review books boutique brook cables California candy child children children's activities Christmas Christmas crafts Christmas knitting cleaning collections cookie cutters cookies cooking craft Crafts crochet cross-stitch day trip decluttering decorating designer spotlight discount diy dog dolls Easter eau de vie Elizabeth Bradley Elizabeth Zimmerman embroidery entertaining Facebook fall fall decorating fall garden family featured first car fit flower arranging flowers free pattern Friday night party group friends funny Fur garden gardening Giants Gifted Hostess give-away giveaway gluten free gourmet group Halloween herbs holiday home how to set up a party group jewelry Kaffe Fassett KAL Kim Hargreaves kitting Knit Picks knitting laundry Le Jacquard Francais Little French Knits Los Altos lunch Mailbu Making Things Marie Wallin Martin Storey menu minimalism money talk mosaic movies my house my patterns my town nails needlepoint needles October challenge Octoberfest ollalie organizing original design outdoor seating owl party prep pear peg dolls pies pomegranates poncho preview quilting recipe recycling redwork review roses Rowan San Francisco Sarah Hatton sewing shawl shopping shower social media softie spring spring garden stash Stitches West summer summer garden summer knitting Sunday Morning Swans Island table setting test test knit Thanksgiving Three Irish Girls TNNA tomatoes top 10 list toys travel tutorial twinning ufo Uncommon Threads vacation Valentine vegetable garden videos wedding winter garden wip Woolfolk yarn yarn for sale Ysolda